It may have been the end of the line for the Southern Pacific Railroad workers, but it was merely the beginning for the Casa Grande. Terminus, as it was originally called, was established on the blistering summer afternoon of May 19, 1879, when approximately 1,300 railroad laborers temporarily halted construction of the rail line. The following year, Southern Pacific executives officially renamed the settlement Casa Grande. In 1912, Evans T Richardson established the Casa Grande Times, a small newspaper that later became part of the Casa Grande Dispatch. “The Fire” almost wiped out all the businesses in town in 1914 and was the principal reason for the city’s incorporation the following year. For the last century, Casa Grande has endured good and bad economic times, hosted games with a handful of Hall of Fame baseball players, trained future astronauts and seen the likes of John Wayne, Pat Boone and Willie Mays. All the while, the Dispatch has been there. As the oldest business in town, we have done more than preserve the area’s history; we are a part of it. To commemorate a century of bringing you news and information in the area, we present Casa Grande: A Century of Progress.
Printed & Published by Casa Grande Dispatch